U.S. stocks end higher as Credit Suisse deal eases fears ahead of Fed meeting


U.S. stocks ended higher Monday, kicking the week off with gains led by the blue-chip gauge Dow Jones Industrial Average ahead of the Federal Reserve’s meeting this week. The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +1.20% rose more than 350 points to close 1.2% higher, while the S&P 500 SPX, +0.89% gained 0.9% and the technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite COMP, +0.39% climbed 0.4%, according to preliminary data from FactSet. The Fed’s two-day policy meeting begins Tuesday, with many investors expecting the central bank to announce on Wednesday that it’s lifting its benchmark interest rate by a quarter of a percentage point to a target range of 4.75% to 5% in an effort to bring down high inflation. Fed-funds futures on Monday afternoon indicated a 73.1% chance of such a rate hike, according to the CME FedWatch Tool, at last check. Odds of the Fed deciding to pause its rate hikes after recent emergency steps to bolster the banking system were at 26.9% based on fed-fund futures trading.

This article was originally published by Marketwatch.com. Read the original article here.

Previous article: U.S. stocks end higher, kicking week off with gains ahead of Fed policy meeting
Next articleMark Hulbert: The bank panic of 2023 could be just what the stock market needs to make money for investors again


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here