U.S. stocks posted strong gains on Tuesday, with the Dow industrials clinching the best session in over a week, as investors took a pause from gobbling up energy shares SP500.10, -2.12% to spread the wealth to other sectors of the market, including materials SP500.15, +1.57%, financials SP500.40, +1.38% and consumer discretionary SP500.25, +1.50%.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +1.06% rose 372 points, or 1.1%, to reach around 35,463, on a preliminary basis, which would represent the best gain since Jan. 31, FactSet data show.
- The S&P 500 index SPX, +0.84% closed up 0.8% to about 4,522, roughly.
- The Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, +1.28% closed up 1.3% to reach around 14,195.
- The 10-year Treasury note TMUBMUSD10Y, 1.964% yields 1.954%, up 3.9 basis points, reaching a new 52-week high and its highest rate since July 31, 2019. Yields rise as prices for debt fall.
- The 2-year Treasury note TMUBMUSD02Y, 1.345% yields 1.339%, rising 4.5 basis points and marking its own 52-week high, representing its highest level since Feb. 21, 2020.
In corporate news: